This is an interactive Story software example file that has been published on the web.
Gritty realism: 101 dead dogs
“No-one but film and tv critics ever use the term.”
“(film and literature) Intense, starkly realistic, especially if violent.”
Creative uses of additive Gritty Realism:
- add to Romance for an East Enders / HBO vibe
- add to Science Fiction for Cyberpunk
- add to War to get either Rebel or Terror
- add to Literary to get Charles Dickens, Ruth Rendell, Dan J Marlowe, Jim Thompson, James Ellroy…
- add to Erotic to get AIDS
Granta, the UK book / magazine, did an issue on it a few years back.
The PEN American Center did a seminar on it recently, with topics like:
- violence in urban environment
- political correctness as violence
- magical realism vs. gritty realism
- why no politics in Latin American writing
To which we would add:
- vile murder – the viler the better
- drug abuse
- wife abuse
- building abuse
- slum landlords
- and of course, dead dogs
Gritty also means sexy. And sort of crunchy. But don’t try an get a commission from Kellogg’s.